Sunday, January 27, 2008

Sharapovas`s Olympic Dream

Fresh from securing her third grand slam title and her first Australian Open crown, Maria Sharapova has now set her sights on securing a gold medal for Russia in this year's Beijing Olympics.

Sharapova might have lived in the United States since the age of nine and speaks with an American accent, but the 20-year-old is so looking forward to representing the country of her birth in August that she said winning a gold medal at the Olympics would mean more to her than claiming a second Wimbledon crown.

"I think because I already have a Wimbledon title, I'd take the Olympic gold medal," Sharapova said. "But if it was any other tournament, I would say Wimbledon."

Sharapova spoke of her love for her native country after downing Ana Ivanovic in Saturday's women's final at Melbourne Park to add the Australian Open to her 2004 Wimbledon and 2006 US Open successes.

"I moved to the United States because of my career but if I didn't have this career I'd probably be back home in Russia in college right now, as is one of my friends that I grew up with back there.

"But those are some of the things you have to sacrifice in your life, in your career. I got the opportunity to move to a new place that taught me ... that made me more mature and basically has given me so many opportunities in my life."

But the chance to represent Russia at the Olympics is a dream come true for Sharapova and something she has coveted for a long time.

"I think for tennis players it's just incredible to be a part of it (the Olympics)," Sharapova said.

"I'm very much looking forward to the opening ceremony and that's one of the things I was always watching on TV (as a child) because my parents used to allow me to stay up late to watch the opening ceremonies.

"I'd wait until Russia would come out but they would always be near last because of the alphabetical order and that would kill me because it would be about 1am in the morning.

"But then I'd put my white hat on because that is what they were wearing and walk around the house, so that (participating in the opening ceremony) is something that I'm very much looking forward to."


Source : www.sportinglife.com