Saturday, February 9, 2008

FRIEDEL UP WITH THE GREATS - HUGHES

Blackburn manager Mark Hughes believes goalkeeper Brad Friedel deserves to be ranked among the greats to have played top-flight football in England.

The 36-year-old American this week signed an extension to his contract which will take his stay at Ewood Park up until 2010.

And Hughes said that was just reward for a sustained spell of excellence with Rovers.

"I had the pleasure of playing alongside him and I know the qualities that he has," said the former Wales boss.

"I'm delighted that I am able to call on him as a manager of Blackburn Rovers because over the years in my playing career I've had the fortune to play alongside the likes of Peter Schmeichel, Neville Southall and I very much view Brad in that same company.

"We are delighted (he has signed a new contract). He is a credit to himself and his profession in fairness.

"He has a great work ethic, is a great athlete and there is no reason why he can't keep on going."

Hughes had every confidence the former Liverpool and Columbus Crew keeper could stay at the top of his game until the end of his new contract - when he would be 39.

"I wouldn't bet against it. He's a fit young man - and I say that as somebody who is senior to him," he said.

"He works extremely hard every day he comes to training, he does extra work to enable him to maintain the level that he hits consistently season on season."

The former USA international has been at Ewood Park since moving from Anfield on a free transfer in November 2000.

And having become settled in the north-west there was no hesitation from him in signing a new deal.

"At this stage in my career, signing was a very easy decision to make," he said.

"It's been an enjoyable time in my life and in my career. I like working with the staff we have here and we've got a good group of players assembled.

"I just try to work hard and keep my mind and body as fit as possible so that I'm available for selection every week.

"As a professional, that should be what you aim to do and the best thing is to be playing in the game.

"I consider myself very fortunate. We've got good competition at the club and it keeps me focused."

Friedel, who will be looking to maintain his good form against Arsenal at the Emirates Stadium on Monday, believes Rovers have the potential to become regulars in the Barclays Premier League's top six.

"Hopefully the club will give Mark some money to spend in the summer and we can keep pushing onwards," he told the Lancashire Telegraph.

"I think we're in with an excellent chance (of qualifying for Europe). We've just got to keep our heads down and try to keep our unbeaten run going."


Source : www.sportinglife.com